DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS! Announcing the first ever Golem Gitcoin Hackathon!
As the end of a very intense year here at Golem Network is approaching, we want to celebrate the upcoming and imminent release of Alpha III in high spirits: building with YOU - in our one-month Online Hackathon!
The main objective of the hackathon is to allow a wider audience to learn and build on New Golem - to this end, there are 5 tracks, for a total of 12 slots, and 33k USD in prizes, each designed to let you explore your creativity and use Golem Network in a different way.
The hackathon will be held in participation with Gitcoin, that will administer the bounties, and we will also host an introductory workshop where we’ll give an overview of the New Golem. Further technical information, and a deep dive into the New Golem SDK, will come shortly.
So without further ado, let’s dive deeper into the tracks!
- Open Track Bounty: May the most compelling application win! The Open Track’s main rule is to build a great application on top of New Golem. Please note that the app has to be working to be considered for this bounty.
- Best DeFi app: ape into the New Golem code and use it to build a DeFi app, as long as the platform is included in your app’s architecture, we’ll consider your project for this category!
- Golem for Social Good: We’d love for someone to build an app with a positive impact, be it on people's lives or on the environment. PoCs are accepted within this category, just be the change you want to see!
- Gaming on Golem: There are many types of games that require computation back-end. If you can distribute the game computation into multiple nodes, try to implement the game on New Golem. Come build your game with us!
- Hack New Golem: Have any ideas of cool add-ons or improvements for New Golem? Currently New Golem does not have GUI but we are working on delivering it - inspire us with some cool UI vision! A widget? Go for it, we will be stoked to see it!
As you can see, there are several opportunities to let your creativity run wild and build with us. If you’re looking for inspiration, have a look at Awesome Golem, community-curated list of resources, including some of the best apps built by our community members!
We have allocated a total of 33k USD for the hackathon, to be distributed amongst 12 slots in this way:
- The hackathon starts on Dec 8th, 2020 and will end on January 5th, 2021
- Judging process will happen on January 6th and 7th - winners will be announced on January 8th.
- Community managers will reach out to participants and winners to ask to participate in developer surveys and interviews.
- Teams can be formed prior to the hackathon, or until day 3 of the hackathon. Each participant has to register in order to be considered as part of a team.
- The projects presented have to be built and developed during the hackathon - while participants can develop their ideas prior to the hackathon, projects built before the hackathon will exclude the entire team.
- Golem will not own the projects. Projects will have open source licence and will be publicly available and accessible, by the judges and whomever might be interested, on Gitcoin.
- Final delivery will include:
- A video demo (YouTube only)
- A presentation (can be either a PDF, a Google Slides, a ppt, etc) describing the project
- A working link to a Github repository containing the code, team members, presentations, demo and documentation
- Each project to be licensed using GPLv3 or a license that's compatible with it
- Innovation: what is the innovation that the application brings to the table?
- Added value: will the application bring actual added value to its users?
- Technical: does the code work?
- Completeness: incomplete applications will not be considered.
In addition, each track might have its own specific track judging criteria.
Eligibility - hackathon participants
- Participants can register as a team or as individual runners. Participants can either join other teams or work alone.
- It will be a fully-online event. Participants from everywhere are welcome to apply.
- A team must consist of a minimum of 1 person and up to 5 people.
- Participants have to be over the age of 18 years old by the day the hackathon ends.
- Employees, contractors, or officers of Golem Factory GmbH and its affiliates are not eligible for participation in the hackathon.
Any disputes arising out of or in connection with the Hackathon shall be exclusively decided by the ordinary courts of the city of Zug, Switzerland and in accordance to Swiss law.
If you have any questions - please join us on Discord or on comment on the Reddit thread. We are very excited to have this hackathon, it took a lot of love and work to prepare it and adjust it to Golem's needs and the community's expectations. We are looking forward to your participation!